While there are probably many more than 5 reasons why people buy pet goldfish, these are some of the reasons that have been reported.
- They won’t destroy your house: Most people have paid a lot of money for their homes and hate the thought of pets that will cause damage. However, both children and adults enjoy sharing their lives with animals that become, in many cases, members of the family. Pet goldfish are a good compromise.
- Most apartment buildings will allow you to keep pet fish: For people who do not yet own their own home, keeping a pet can make finding a rental unit more difficult. Many apartment buildings and rental properties will not allow cats, dogs, or even birds because of the possible damage they may cause to the rental unit. However, many rental properties will allow you to have an aquarium.
- They are entertaining to watch as they swim: With the wide variety of colors and body styles fancy goldfish have become a special favorite of people wanting pet goldfish. People who have never owned a pet fish before may not realize that fish can have personalities of their own. As they become used to your family and the feeding schedule they can actually be seen begging for treats. It is also entertaining to watch them interact with other fish in the aquarium.
- They may help to reduce stress levels: There has been research done that shows that owning an aquarium and taking time to watch the fish can help to reduce stress levels in many people. You may have noticed that many doctors’ offices and dentist offices have aquariums in their waiting rooms. These are both areas where it is normal for people waiting for appointments to experience some levels of stress. Whether it is the motion of the fish, the sound of water flowing from the filter, or the distraction of the fish chasing each other around the tank that helps to reduce the stress people are feeling we don’t yet know. However, aquariums do seem to have a calming effect on people.
- A well set up and maintained aquarium is a living work of art: An aquarium provides people with a chance to express their own style. There are so many different ways to decorate your aquarium that really no two will end up looking exactly the same. You may see an aquarium that you really like the looks of and try to copy it. However, most people enjoy making their aquarium distinctly their own. Once you have the aquarium set up it does take a little maintenance work to keep it looking beautiful, such as doing weekly water exchanges. The compliments you will receive from visitors will make the work seem well worth the time.
As you can see, there are many reasons why people may desire a pet goldfish. We have touched on only a few of the most common reasons why people decide to add a pet goldfish to their homes.
here to find more information on goldfish care. Join the forum and interact with other goldfish enthusiasts.